21 March 2014

Six Weeks Out

Getting there, day by day. Yesterday marked six weeks until we leave for the Big Big Trip and today is five weeks until my last day of work at United Bank. The closer we get to this adventure, the more real it becomes and the scarier it gets. But also the more exciting.

We are currently boxing up the apartment, which is a pretty impressive sort of foresight for Johnny Procrastinator, such as I am, though much of that gusto is courtesy of Krissy, aka Janey Chop-Chop. As of now, the ratio of things in boxes to things not in boxes is wildly skewed towards the latter but you'd be pressed to believe that for all the freaking boxes. It is, however, a margin that gets closer to closing every day.

Oh, and the cats are having a BALL with this. So many fun new things to climb on! And, when they tire of that, there are plenty of empty bookshelves to keep them busy. Sadly, they have no idea what is to come after this stage, but it's better that they don't and perhaps we shouldn't talk about it now anyway.

I finally had a Skype chat with Jeannine, the woman who runs the hostel in St. John's where we will be staying. She seems very nice and she helped me get even more excited about our time that will be spent in the city. We have also signed on to stay there until 15 August, rather than try and work at the Irish Loop Coffeehouse and Hostel, which is just down the road anyway (i'm sure we will, at the very least, eat there once or twice). Part of the reason for that slight change is to stay with something familiar for a while longer, but also because we will be expecting visitors in early August and it makes sense to stay in the city and use that as a base. The one downside is that Krissy and I won't necessarily always have our days off coincide but hopefully enough of them will so that we can take all the proper side trips on the Avalon that we would like to take. Then again, it's not like you can't get anywhere on the Avalon within 2.5 hours (that's just to the farthest point, most places are far closer) so I think we will be okay for some afternoon trips.

That is just about it for now. I do have to mention that as excited as I am for all this trip and all the big changes that will be taking place, the piece-by-piece dismantling of The Sidebar (my studio) is making me very sad. Lots of great memories in that little room and lots of music made in there. I can't tell you how many songs were written in that room but I would venture to guess it's close to 1000 and, by the time I'm done there, 50 FDM releases will have come into existance within those walls. I am very proud of all the work I accomplished there (and am continuing to accomplish, as I make a mad, prolific dash towards the finish line) and can only hope that the next spot, whatever it may be called, will be just as fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment