16 April 2014

Two Weeks For The Sky

Oh my words. We are down to the two week mark and it feels kinda crazy. In a way, it still does not feel real and then it does. Several times daily, Krissy and I both have these "holy crap what the hell are we doing" moments. Something tells me that these waves will not subside, even as we are in the thick of our travels. But still we are very excited.

The biggest update we have this week is that we started the physical move last weekend. On Saturday we got a storage unit, fortunately right around the corner from where we live. They have a truck that new tenants are allowed to use so Sunday was spent loading out. We moved out the bookcases (four large and five small), the massive wall units that hold all my CDs (four of them), the couch, dining room table and chairs, two living room chairs, and about a hundred boxes, of varying size and weight. It was just the two of us and it took almost all day and I totally threw out my back doing it but it was....fun? Sure.

We still have a lot more to move in the next two weeks but that can pretty much all be done by car. We still need to move the end tables, coffee table, TV, sound system, bedroom desk, kitchen hutch, patio chairs, small sidebar table, a couple small filing cabinets, and my big computer table, as well as the bed (which will obviously be moved on the last day) and all the kitchen stuff, which we need to start packing. We also have a lot of stuff that will be going out to my sister's house, including all of my vinyl (yikes), scrapbooks, photos, the FDM archive, the rest of the guitars, and other irreplaceable items. So yeah, there is still work to be done.

In the trip-booking department, I locked down another campground, which we will be at for four days after we spend our night in Halifax. Also, in a fantastic act of kindness, one of my customers hooked us up with a suite at the Marriott in Mont Tremblant QC, in the mountains north of Montreal, for two nights towards the end of our trip. It will be a nice cushy way to end so many months of air mattresses and tent living.

In other news, I powered through my recording sessions and totally met my 2014 goal of six albums released (four albums of new material, one album of cover songs, and a best-of-all-that-came-before). I have a little remixing and a couple of overdubs to do on the Two For The Sky album and I need to make a final decision on the track listing for the Boom album and release those and all will be well. With a couple weeks left, most likely I will write and record a farewell-to-the-Sidebar single, which may end up being a song called "Sidebar". More on that later.

In the meantime, we have our big farewell BBQ this Saturday at Amanda's house. We will be smoking a pork shoulder or two (or three) and drinking a few beers and hanging out with as many friends and family that we can gather. It will be a great time. There will be many other farewell dinners and hangouts over the next two weeks as well. Busy times.

Oh yeah, and nine days until my job ends. Wahoo!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap what are you doing? You are doing something amazing and exciting that you'll remember for the rest of your lives! I know it's scary to uproot yourselves so completely, but having taken a multi-month life break and gotten back on track, I can assure you that things will come together when you're back just fine. And you'll have all these fantastic memories. This is what life is for, so enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete